I’m going to keep this post short and sweet ~ just like these delightful little muffins. These are flour-less (gluten-free & grain-free), nut free, dairy free, sugar free, and so extremely moist and delicious, when you take a bite you may just be mistaken and think that you are eating cake!Flourless Banana-Coconut Muffins
Dietary Info: GF/DF/NF/SF/PA/V (*see notes at end of post for dietary codes)
Yield: 6 muffins
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1/2 Tbs. natural caramel essence (OR substitute vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp. sweet leaf stevia drops vanilla creme (OR may substitute 4 Tbs. raw honey)
- 1 egg
- 1 c. shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 c. coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. guar gum
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- a few dashes of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 165C or 325F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas until creamy and smooth, and add remaining liquid ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- In another mixing bowl, add coconut flakes and sifted coconut flour, guar gum, baking powder and soda and salt. Stir well to combine dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until the wet and dry ingredients are well incorporated and no lumps.
- In a non-stick silicon muffin tray, or greased muffin tray, spoon the mixture evenly to fill six muffin cups.
- Place muffin tray in preheated oven in middle shelf, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean or tops of muffins are slightly golden and firm to touch. I would check after 25 minutes, and if more time is needed add another 5-10 minutes then toothpick check again. You don’t want to bake them too long and dry them out, so just keep an eye on them.
- Remove from oven, and with a butter knife, carefully run around edges of each muffin to loosen from muffin tin. Set aside and allow muffins to cool completely before removing from muffin tray.
*Notes: A few yummy (but optional) additions are:
- In a non-stick pan, toast 1 Tbs. of poppy seeds for 3-5 minutes or until slightly browned and fragrant. Add to batter before baking for a delicious flavor!
- Chop some walnuts or pecans and sprinkle on top for a bit of crunch. This will of course, make these not-so-nut free… so depends on your preference and/or dietary requirements.
Nutrition facts per muffin: Calories 220, Fat 14, Carbs 22, Protein 4
Special Dietary Needs:
- Gluten Free/Grain Free = GF
- Dairy Free = DF
- Egg Free = EF
- Nut Free = NF
- Sugar Free = SF
- Paleo Approved = PA
- Vegetarian = V
- Low Carb = LC
The above codes for specific dietary requirements will be found under each recipe title.