This has been my favorite morning/afternoon (or both) snack this week, so I thought it’s about time I share this recipe so you can get in on this goodness too! I’m sure you’re familiar with “Lara Bars”, right? Well this is my version of Lara bars…a mixture of dates, nuts, raw cocoa powder, coconut and spices. I thought it would be fun to shape them into “logs” which are pretty much the same size of a nice cuban cigar (just slightly better for you). They are also 100% RAW and have an incredibly yummy spiced, chocolatey flavor. Try these out for yourself, and let me know how much you love them!Coconut-Frosted RAW Chocolate Logs
Dietary Info: GF/DF/EF/SF/PA/V & Vegan (*see notes at end of post for dietary codes)
Makes 10 logs (38g/each)
- 1/2 c. (75g) pitted dates (soaked for 2-3 hours, then drained)
- 1/2 c. (80g) sultanas (or raisins)
- 15 g. raw cocoa powder
- 2 Tbs. (40g) organic almond butter (homemade if you have it!)
- 1/4 c. (40g) almonds
- 1/4 c. (25g) walnuts
- 1/4 c. (40g) roasted cashews
- 1 Tbs. coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1.5 Tbs. (25g) coconut water
- shredded coconut (for rolling logs in)
- Mix all ingredients (except shredded coconut) in food processor until well combined. Mixture should resemble a thick paste.
- Lay a large piece of saran wrap on counter, and using a tablespoon, spoon mixture onto saran wrap (the mixture is quite sticky, so you won’t want to get your hands into this one).
- Fold the saran wrap over the top, then gently start rolling and shaping to form a “log”. Once in a log shape, twist ends of saran to round off the ends, then drop the log onto a plate thats covered in shredded coconut. Roll log to cover, then set aside, and repeat until all mixture is formed into even logs.
- I use baking paper to roll each log individually, then place in a ziplock bag to store in freezer. They keep for up to four months, and will never get frozen solid, but will be firmer to handle after freezing for a few hours.
*Notes: If you’re in a hurry, and don’t feel like rolling into “logs”, just shape them into a nice ball, roll in shredded coconut and freeze.
Special Dietary Needs:
- Gluten Free/Grain Free = GF
- Dairy Free = DF
- Egg Free = EF
- Nut Free = NF
- Sugar Free = SF
- Paleo Approved = PA
- Vegetarian = V
- Low Carb = LC
The above codes for specific dietary requirements will be found under each recipe title