This is quite possibly my new favorite dinner. I am a huge fan of Thai food, so I’m always looking for new ways to use the traditional Thai flavors of fresh coriander, kaffir lime, ginger and garlic in recipes. This dish is more of a “Thai-fusion”, as I’ve combined a richly flavored chicken poached in coconut cream on top of a bed of roasted butternut squash, onions and garlic mash instead of your traditional curry on rice dish. The fresh zesty flavors of the coconut chicken combined with the warm roasted veggies is absolutely brilliant. And although not completely necessary, I highly recommend giving my sugarless “candied” peanuts recipe a try — crush a handful of these sweet and salty nuts and sprinkle on top of this dish as a garnish. Insanely addictive. I’ve already planned to make this one again before the week is over! You may also try serving this on a bed of “Creamed Cauliflower Rice“, which is what I plan to do next time! Yummy.
Dietary Info: GF/DF/SF/V and Vegan! (*see notes at end of post for dietary codes)
For a Paleo version, simply use cashews instead of peanuts for garnish.
- 400g skinless chicken breast (about 2 large breasts) chopped into 3-4 large pieces each
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. whole black peppercorns, crushed in mortar and pestle
- 1 thumbsize piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. coconut palm sugar
- 1 Tbs. fish sauce
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- 2 fresh red chilies, finely chopped (or adjust for preferred level of spice)
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbs.) organic coconut cream (full fat)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice + zest
- a handful (approx half a cup) of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 48g “Candied” Peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a large non-stick saucepan on medium heat. Once hot, add chopped chicken and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until starting to lightly brown (don’t be tempted to cook for much longer, as the majority of the cooking will come when you poach chicken in the coconut cream).
- Turn heat to low, and add crushed fresh peppercorns, chopped ginger, coconut sugar, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves, red chilies and coconut cream. Cover and poach, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add lime juice and zest along with fresh mint leaves and stir to combine.
- Dish onto plates and garnish with fresh coriander and crushed candied peanuts.
Now for the roasted veggies…
Dietary Info: GF/DF/SF/PA/V and Vegan! (*see notes at end of post for dietary codes)
- half a butternut squash, seeds left in
- one medium size onion, skin on, quartered
- 1 large head of garlic, skin on
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 395 (200C), with large non-stick casserole dish.
- Once oven is preheated, carefully remove hot dish and drizzle half the olive oil on top and spread around.
- Lie the butternut squash flat side down (see photo below), and place onion quarters and whole head of garlic around squash. Drizzle remaining olive oil on top (use a kitchen brush if you’d like to spread the oil evenly over veggies).
- Sprinkle with sea salt and return to oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until tops of veggies are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven, and slice the squash once down the middle (lengthwise), and once down the middle (widthwise) so you have four nice chunks.
- To serve: cut the bottom of the head of garlic off, and holding the top of the head, squeeze roasted garlic mash in the middle of each plate. Divide the roasted onions and squash onto the plates, and pour a generous serving of Zesty Coconut Chicken on top. Garnish with fresh coriander and candied peanuts. Serve immediatly!
Special Dietary Needs:
Gluten Free/Grain Free = GF
Dairy Free = DF
Sugar Free = SF
Paleo Approved = PA
Vegetarian = V
Low Carb = LC
The above codes for specific dietary requirements will be found under each recipe title