This “burger” is the ultimate burger because it’s made with 100% pure and natural ingredients. It’s paleo too – so grain free, gluten free, dairy free – basically, none of the bad stuff. No wonder why I don’t miss grains when I’m chowing down on wholesome (and outta-this-world-mouth-wateringly-delicious) food like this!
This recipe is pretty simple, and you can adjust the ingredients to your liking…but this combination of flavors is pretty freakin’ awesome! For a vegetarian option, try adding some grilled haloumi instead of chicken, or if you’re vegan cram with extra grilled veg or your favorite veggie burger! This is super nutritious, high in protein, low in carbs, and nothing but the healthy good fats in this one. I’m gonna make this for lunch way more often!
Dietary Info: GF/DF/SF/PA (*see notes at end of post for dietary codes)
Serves 1 person with a big appetite
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms (160g)
- 180-200g skinless organic chicken breast, cut in half
- cajun seasoning or spice of choice
- a few spinach leaves
- a small roma tomato, sliced
- a few thin slices of red onion
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 tsp. wholegrain or dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat. While it’s heating, season chicken breast on both sides with cajun seasoning (or seasoning of choice) and a dash of sea salt.
- Once pan is hot, place both chicken breast halves on one half of the pan, and the portobello mushrooms on the other side. Pan grill 3-4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove portobellos and chicken from pan, turn on high heat and throw on the red onion until browned on both sides.
- Transfer portobello mushrooms to plate, and using them like “burger buns” spread mustard on one half and add avocado on top of the other half. Stuff with the remaining ingredients, stick a wooden skewer in the middle to keep your burger nice and pretty, and serve!
It won’t stay pretty for very long…this burger is just as messy as any other burger I’ve had – but tastes way better. Enjoy!
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 360, Fat 16.4g, Carb 16g, Protein 44g
Special Dietary Needs:
Gluten Free/Grain Free = GF
Dairy Free = DF
Sugar Free = SF
Paleo Approved = PA
Vegetarian = V
Low Carb = LC
The above codes for specific dietary requirements will be found under each recipe title.