This simple, yet delicious salad takes about 5 minutes to make so it’s the perfect lunch for when you’re in a hurry… or if you’re good at planning ahead, this is a great meal to prepare in advance so you’ve got your lunch packed and ready to go with you wherever you’re busy day may take you! Unfortunately, I’m not one of those ‘plan-ahead’ types, so I usually get caught throwing my meals together at the last minute – especially when it comes to lunches, and this one turned out so yum! Plus, it’s jam-packed with protein, so it’ll keep you from getting the munchies till dinner.
I made this salad with ingredients I had on hand, but feel free to substitute the butter beans for lentils, chickpeas/garbanzos, cannelloni beans, etc. if you don’t have these handy. For a vegetarian option, use a handful of roasted cashews with the beans instead of tinned salmon. If you do have these ingredients, this combo was delish.
Dietary Info: GF/DF/SF (*see notes at end of post for dietary codes)
Makes 2 servings
- 1 14-oz can of butter beans
- 2 (210g) cans of pink salmon
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach or mix *see notes
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 30g roasted, salted cashews
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Rinse butter beans in colander under warm water well. Transfer to medium size mixing bowl.
- Drain salmon, and flake into mixing bowl with beans.
- Shred mixed salad greens roughly and toss in with the salmon and beans. Drizzle olive oil, fresh lime juice, and chili flakes on top and toss until evenly combined. Add a few dashes of freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide into two servings (in either bowls or lunch boxes) and sprinkle half roasted cashews on top of each one.
- Enjoy immediately, or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
*notes: I used a mixture of spinach leaves and silverbeet for color, but if you have watercress or baby rocket, that would be a treat! Unfortunately I’m limited to the greens I have available, however these two were pretty darn tasty.
Nutrition information per serving (with cashews): Calories 440, Fat 27g, Carb 17g, Protein 36.5g
Special Dietary Needs:
Gluten Free/Grain Free = GF
Dairy Free = DF
Sugar Free = SF
Paleo Approved = PA
Vegetarian = V
Low Carb = LC
The above codes for specific dietary requirements will be found under each recipe title