…can I just add that this ice-cream is sugar-free, dairy-free, and paleo-approved!! This ice-cream is super rich and chocolatey, and just as decadent tasting as any other dairy-filled and sugar-laden ice-cream I’ve had. Only better then that.
You wouldn’t even be able to tell that this is free from dairy and sugar. And omg, when you take a bite — the crunch of the raw macadamia nuts folded between the velvety-smooth ice cream is H-E-A-V-E-N-L-Y!! I could keep going, but I’m gonna stop there – you’ll just have to try this for yourself.
If you’re wondering if you need an ice-cream maker for this recipe…? You don’t.
Coconut Macadamia “Rocky Road” Ice-Cream
Dietary Info: GF/DF/SF/PA/LC/V (and vegan!) (*see notes at end of post for dietary codes)
Serves: 8 (65g) serves
Yield: 520 grams
- 1 14-ounce (400mL) can of organic coconut milk, full fat
- 6 Tbs. raw cacao powder, or organic cocoa powder
- 4 medjool dates, soaked for up to 2 hours prior
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste or extract
- 29g coarsely chopped raw macadamia nuts
- a dash of sea salt (to taste)
- Take pre-soaked pitted dates plus 1/2 tsp. water, and with a food processor (or mortar and pestle) grind into a paste
- Add all ingredients, except the raw macadamia nuts to a food processor or blender and blend on high for about 20-30 seconds, or until mixture is creamy
- Pour chocolate coconut mixture into a freezer-safe container (see photo below). Sprinkle coarsely chopped macadamia nuts over the top, seal with lid and freeze 3-4 hours, or until firm. If this has been in the freezer overnight, take out to let soften slightly for about 30 minutes.
Notes: If you’re so lucky as to own an ice-cream maker, you don’t have to wait as long to enjoy this treat, as it will freeze your ice cream in about 20 minutes. Just follow the manufacturer’s directions.
Nutrition information per 65g serving: Calories 150, Fat 12g, Carb 8g, Protein 2.4g
Special Dietary Needs:
Gluten Free/Grain Free = GF
Dairy Free = DF
Sugar Free = SF
Paleo Approved = PA
Vegetarian = V
Low Carb = LC
The above codes for specific dietary requirements will be found under each recipe title.